Our purpose at UPFINA is to understand the world around us. In order to accomplish this mission, we believe that economics and finance are one of the best tools for measuring and mapping human action and inaction. Interpreting a complex environment is one of the most fascinating and exhilarating processes. However, economics and finance are as much an art as they are a science. Therefore, rigid principles and mathematics are just as important as the mere perception of participants. Human behavior is not linear.
The path towards truth is as much an understanding of ourselves, our own biases, experiences and interpretations, as it is about understanding the reality around us. Your perspective about the past and present is just as important in forming your understanding of the future. In other words, you will find the answers you seek. Instead, our goal is to merely ask high quality questions, to understand the present. You won’t know where you are going if you don’t know where you are.
The pursuit of truth in finance and economics to form an unbiased view of current events in order to understand human action, its causes and effects.
- Never take anything at face value. Be skeptical, but not cynical.
- Identify and remove hypocrisy – both in philosophy and in practice.
- Be honest.
- Sensationalism and satisfactory investment returns do not coexist in the long-term.
- Rarely is anything as bad as you fear, nor as great as you hope.
- Truth is not black and white, but somewhere in the middle.
- The best investments start with a question, not an answer.
- Being less wrong has greater value than being always right.
- Listen to all, follow none.
It is commonly regarded that free advice is worth what you pay for it, thereby please note that we are not advising you.
We do not predict nor claim to predict the future. Our goal is to understand history while inquiring into the progression and significance of events.
“Economics must not be relegated to classrooms and statistical offices and must not be left to esoteric circles. It is the philosophy of human life and action, and concerns everybody and everything. It is the pith of civilization and of man’s human existence.” -Ludwig von Mises, Human Action, 1949
Please familiarize yourself with our full disclaimer.